2013 seems to have gone by so fast, but when I look back to January 1, 2013, that day seems so long ago. a lot has happened since then. i had goals then. did i achieve them? hmmm let's take a look, shall we?
1. walk 500 miles. yeah this didn't happen. I started but the cold kept me inside. and then the excuses. and then i just didn't feel like it. and i didn't care. i just thought i was lazy. i mentioned these feelings to a new doctor, and how distracted i felt, and how i just didn't seem to care anymore. a new prescription and some chatting time and what once was "someday i will do X," became "someday i will do X, I'm going to do it right now." i am still the same person. the one who would rather knit or play games on the couch or do both at the same time, but simple every day things that should be easy, don't feel like climbing a mountain for me anymore.
2. keep at it with WW and go to meetings. ha! yeah this also didn't happen. see above.
3. i want to publish 8 patterns. this was a ridiculous goal. not because 8 is a crazy number but because, i just am not all that interested in publishing stuff. yeah i get a thrill when i see my work out there in the real world. but pattern writing is tedious and boring and i'd rather just make stuff, than write out the pattern. and honestly, there are 100s of designers who are a hell of a lot more talented than i am. phew. i feel so much better having said that. ha!
but two of my designs did make it out into the real world via Crochet at Home edited by Brett Bara for Interweave. They made the cover even!
The Blooming Potholders (above) and the Happy Hexagon afghan (below).
the afghan is probably my favorite of all of the projects i have ever designed. i don't usually toot my own horn, but I was really happy with it.
4. i got a new camera. the nikon D7000 and it is lovely. but unlike my D80 and D90, there are all sorts of new features and controls that i need to learn about. hence the manual in the photo. i'm reading that mof0 if it kills me. heh. no official photo project this year, but it's time to get a portfolio together so that i can make a little $$ at this hobby. Well i read the manual. and i learned a lot. it didn't kill me. and then i promptly lost my photo mojo. so no portfolio. no special photo a day project, etc. i did try my hand at making a little cash by doing some knitwear photography. (thanks julia!)
no worries, i'm not ready to quit my day job. mostly because, knitwear designers don't want to pay someone to take photographs of their designs. most think they can do just as well on their own. i think very few can. but whatever. so be it.
5. related to this, i'd like to make this website look a little better and more useful. didn't happen and probably won't. its not a priority.
6. there's the potholder swap coming up. more info on that in the coming weeks. this did happen. and i think it may happen again this year. i have to check in with my fellow potholder swappers before i can be sure.
7. find a new job. yeah this is a goal that i have no choice but to work on. i have to pay for all of the things some how ;) ha! this also didn't happen, but definitely will need to happen this year. I got several reprieves and continued to work through the year. part-time since August 1. can i just say that 3 day work weeks are pretty awesome?
yeah so if i based whether 2013 was a success or not, on whether i achieved my goals, i'd be 1 in 7. or if i'm being generous, 1.5 in 7. but i feel better about my future than i have in years. so for that reason 2013 wasn't so bad.
i have goals for 2014 but i think i'll keep them to myself this time.
have a safe new year's eve every one. i'll see you on the other side.